THIS WEEK'S SEGMENT HIGHLIGHTS:

NETWORKING MEETING
Thursday, OCTOBER 29: 6pm
CUTTING EDGE PRODUCTIONS, INC.
22904 LOCKNESS AVE.
TORRANCE, CA 90501
PHONE: (310) 326-4500

Bill Dedes has been kind enough to offer his studio for our meeting - don't miss it!

Spotlight - Freelance Tips - Use this time to build your business
Social Networking -
Tips on how to use social networking effectively
Using social networking for charities
The State of our Industy - Recent feedback on the importance of meeting
Green Report - International Day of Climate Action

Remember to click each title for the entire article

Thursday, February 19, 2009

What is the current state of our industry?


To all my freelance friends and associates,
My name is Meg Reeves and I'm a freelance event producer.  I specialize in meetings, tours and press events. My core business is in the automotive, tech and finance sectors.

I thought it would be useful to catch up with many of you whom I've worked with over the years and get feedback on how the current state of the industry is affecting your business.

I'm hoping to make this a forum for freelancers by communicating with one another and getting feedback on the state of business from the production companies we work with.

I'll be honest, I've been slow since October - especially the last couple of months.  Nothing is happening - no calls, no emails, nada.  The news from other freelancers I know is equally grim.   I'm trying to stay positive and not take it personally.  I'm trying to do all those things I never have time to do when I'm working.  Free things, that is!

WHAT DO YOU THINK?  JUMP IN TO THE DISCUSSION - Positive or Negative
  1. Are you in the same position as me?  
  2. What is your freelance position?
  3. If you are currently working, do you feel confident that you'll get another project as soon as your current project ends?
  4. Are you considering another line of work? 
Feel Free to take the survey to the right or comment.  We want to hear from you.

2 comments:

  1. From my limited POV, whole industry is slow. Grim times. I'm lucky enough to have some things to keep me going but these will eventually run out. Not considering bailing out on the biz, but that day could come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craig Hotti comments:
    Thank god I learned a long time ago how to direct/produce/edit/design. This past month I was kept alive by a BMW job where I directed, wrangled all the locations, produced, got the craft service, pickup up wardrobe and walkies and served as production manager. I made a decent profit on it, but if I had to farm out those jobs I would have lost my shirt.

    March looks good, thanks to one Mazda job and a small Honda job. There are several proposals I have out for longer term work, but who knows. Last year was terrific, thanks to the Pharam companies I was able to work with (God bless you TKG, Kahn Creative and Gail & Rice).

    These days I am offering my clients (Larger Event Companies) free promo videos. I own a high def camera and an HD edit suite, so it does not cost me anything and the good will is extremely important right now. I think my business model was tailor made for this economy, but that does not mean it is not stressful. I used to be able to see out 3 months or more, now it’s down to 90 days. Everyone wants more for A LOT LESS. Thankfully, I have the flexibility to provide that.

    ReplyDelete